Marrying Winterborne by Lisa Kleypas


Savage ambition has brought common-born Rhys Winterborne vast wealth and success. In business and beyond, Rhys gets exactly what he wants. And from the moment he meets the shy, aristocratic Lady Helen Ravenel, he is determined to possess her. If he must take her virtue to ensure she marries him, so much the better…

Helen has had little contact with the glittering, cynical world of London society. Yet Rhys’s determined seduction awakens an intense mutual passion. Helen’s gentle upbringing belies a stubborn conviction that only she can tame her unruly husband. As Rhys’s enemies conspire against them, Helen must trust him with her darkest secret. The risks are unthinkable…the reward, a lifetime of incomparable bliss. And it all begins with…

Marrying Mr. Winterborne

Now, I must tell you that I am such a big fan of LK.The Wallflowers, The Bow Street Runners, The Gamblers, Capital Theater....le sigh...

Then came the first of The Hathaways *rubs hands together* . I was working in Long Island and literally ran over to B&N on my lunch break to get the first book on it's release day. I swear, they hadn't even unpacked them and the poor guy had to rummage through the deliveries in the stock room to dig out my copy. I didn't give a damn, I had been counting the days until it's release.

But then the unthinkable happened. I found out LK's next release was a contemporary romance. A Wha?

LK is my go to historical romance author. How could she do this? She hooked me, reeled me in and then left me dangling.

Fiiiiiiiinnnnnnaaaaaaallllly....after years of longing for an LK historical, I found out she was coming out with a new series. By God, I don't think I was ever happier to hear of a series coming out.

I cannot even begin to describe the sheer joy that coursed through me at the news. And then finally the day came when Cold-Hearted Rake was released. I damn near ran out of my office. I threw together some sort of dinner for the family (sorry family) and then locked myself away to start the book.

I didn't get 2 chapters in before heading upstairs. My husband--who knows how much I adore LK--asked me what happened. I don't know, I said. I just couldn't get in to it. I don't know if it was the characters or the plot. Or maybe, just maybe I had ampt up LK's abilities in my own mind so much that it was really an impossible feat to write a tale worthy enough.

Whatever the case I never opened Cold-Hearted Rake again. :(

Then came Marrying Winterborne....

I was a bit skeptical, as I was nearly left broken hearted with CHR. But once again I sat down, cracked open the book and began to read.

OH THANK HEAVENS!!! Lisa! You still have it! I couldn't put it down. Rhys. Oh how I adored him. He was everything I've come to expect out of an LK hero. Manly, powerful and yet oh so sexy. Helen--who for some reason I kept calling Helene in my mind--was a wonderfully written heroine, as well.

The angst, the forbidden love, the romance...

My biggest regret is that I didn't finish Cold-Hearted Rake because you can tell the books intertwine quite a bit and I wish to know more about Helen and Rhys' backstory. I may have to give it another shot.

Then--as if I wasn't already completely thrilled with the book--I finished the epilogue only to read the teaser for her upcoming book in the series! Devil In Spring (AHHHHHH!!!) the tale will be about Sebastian and Evie's son. Now if you don't know who Sebastian and Evie are you really need to pick up LK's Wallflower Series. I seriously CANNOT wait for Gabriel and Pandora's tale. How I will wait until February remains to be seen.
 
© Simply Historical Romance ~ Site Styled by Barbara